Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging new Q500 Batteries

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! First, I am a new member and it has been many years ago that I flew RC Planes. I do fly real planes but we all know that is not the same and it takes a lot of practice to fly RC or drones. I did buy a drone kit "Typhoon Q500+" again, many years ago but just never found the time. I have sold most of my business and now have some time to try out the drone again... I did dispose of the batteries long ago so I bought some OEM-style batteries. I have added pictures with the tested voltage pencil in on the batteries. I have used the OEM battery charger/balancer that came with the unit but after days of trying it will not get out of the balance mode and charge the batteries all the way. Even though this unit is brand new I see that it looks like it is a much out-of-date unit and maybe I should just start new with something else. I found you guys and thought I would ask people who know their equipment. Any information would be appreciated, thanks, Chris

Attachments

• IMG_7048.jpg
    IMG_7048.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7049.jpg
    IMG_7049.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7050.jpg
    IMG_7050.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7051.jpg
    IMG_7051.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
>I see that it looks like it is a much out-of-date

That's definitely correct. I have the next model after yours, the Q500 4k, and I would consider my drone extremely outdated. I've kept it for sentimental reasons, but for someone new to the whole drone experience, I'd say the Q500 is not a plug-n-play type of drone. They are fairly high maintenance and I'd worry a new UAS pilot would get soured on the entire hobby if this was the drone they started out on. It's a bummer that you never got to fly the drone when new; you probably would have enjoyed it, but the Q500+ is late 2014, early 2015 drone technology. Not sure how worth it is for you at this point.

Those balance chargers are known for failing. I doubt it's your batteries - as you mentioned you bought some OEM-style (recently??). You can find a replacement balance charger fairly easy on ebay or elsewhere. I went with a third party LIPO battery charger based on a recommendation of a user on this forum: Onyx KX80 80W Ac/Dc Charger Rc Part #12522 | eBay That worked great for me and fully chargers and balances my Q500 batteries reliably. I have the high capacity batteries and can always get 22-25 mins of battery life.

Good luck with whatever route you go!

>I see that it looks like it is a much out-of-date

That's definitely correct. I have the next model after yours, the Q500 4k, and I would consider my drone extremely outdated. I've kept it for sentimental reasons, but for someone new to the whole drone experience, I'd say the Q500 is not a plug-n-play type of drone. They are fairly high maintenance and I'd worry a new UAS pilot would get soured on the entire hobby if this was the drone they started out on. It's a bummer that you never got to fly the drone when new; you probably would have enjoyed it, but the Q500+ is late 2014, early 2015 drone technology. Not sure how worth it is for you at this point.

Those balance chargers are known for failing. I doubt it's your batteries - as you mentioned you bought some OEM-style (recently??). You can find a replacement balance charger fairly easy on ebay or elsewhere. I went with a third party LIPO battery charger based on a recommendation of a user on this forum: Onyx KX80 80W Ac/Dc Charger Rc Part #12522 | eBay That worked great for me and fully chargers and balances my Q500 batteries reliably. I have the high capacity batteries and can always get 22-25 mins of battery life.

Good luck with whatever route you go!
Hello Shuggins69, I appreciate your reply! I did order another charger and all the batteries are in good condition and charged correctly. After reading your opinion I have decided to purchase a new drone... just reading up on these and I think I will stay under the 250 grams. Again thanks for the info!

Yea, the sub-250 gram route is a great way to go. I have a DJI Mini 2 that is 249g. It's a great drone (still). I can get outstanding range and the 4k camera on it is fantastic. Also, not to mention the 31 minute battery life. Good luck - being a "real" pilot and having a past with RC crafts....you will love this hobby.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Plad